One of the most poignant moments of your wedding will be your first dance with your spouse. And that’s why it’s so important to choose a first dance song that not only represents your love for each other, but matches who you are as a couple.
But what if you don’t have a song to call your own yet? Not all soon-to-be marrieds have a couple defining song — and that’s OK. Our mega-list of romantic first dance songs can help you find that perfect track.
Whether you want something classic or modern or even a bit edgy, we’ve got something for every couple.
Top 40 Most Popular First Dance Songs
With so many great love songs to choose from, how do you pick which one is right for your special moment?
If you want a tried-and-true wedding song, our lists of the top 40 — 20 modern and 20 classic — first dance songs will point you in the right direction. Spanning a variety of styles and genres, one thing each of these 40 songs has in common is that they are ageless love songs that have or will stand the test of time.
Most popular first dance songs (modern)
1. All of Me — by John Legend
Dedicated to his wife Chrissy Teigen, 2013’s All of Me was Legend’s first No. 1 single in the U.S. This beautiful piano-based ballad talks about unconditional, all-consuming love and won’t leave a dry eye in the house.
2. Thinking Out Loud — by Ed Sheeran
This sentimental, chart-topping 2014 song from the English singer-songwriter is both passionate and nostalgic as it talks about lasting love despite the ravages of passing time. What could be more perfect for a wedding song?
3. You Are the Best Thing — by Ray LaMontagne
This folk song has been a popular choice with couples since 2008. LaMontagne’s husky, gravelly voice and soulful lyrics combine to make this a perfect first dance song.
4. A Thousand Years – by Christina Perri
A song about eternal love, this 2011 hit was written for the The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn soundtrack. This top 40 hit is a great choice for Twilight fans or any couple who believes love can’t be governed by time.
5. Make You Feel My Love — by Adele
Adele’s 2008 cover of Bob Dylan’s Make You Feel My Love may have been slow to catch on but it’s now one of the most-played love songs thanks in large part, no doubt, to the English singer’s stunning vocals and piano work.
6. I Won’t Give Up On Us — by Jason Mraz
This romantic love song, Mraz’s second top 10 single, features acoustic guitar melodies and lyrics that talk of love and devotion. Coupled with this singer’s smooth tenor, it’s always a winner for weddings.
7. Everything — by Michael Bublé
If you want a song that’s smooth as silk, this 2007 Grammy-nominated song could be it. Inspired by then-girlfriend Emily Blunt, the Canadian singer pours out his heart in this pop-jazz song that’s perfect for slow dancing.
8. Amazed — by Lonestar
This powerful country ballad was not only Lonestar’s longest-lasting No. 1 single but the group’s biggest hit ever. A pop-country sound combined with lyrics that express a man’s devotion to the woman he loves make this a great first dance choice.
9. Marry Me — by Train
A hit on adult contemporary charts, this 2010 release from pop-rock group Train is a natural choice for a first dance song. An acoustic guitar melody and lead singer Pat Monahan’s high tenor are a perfect accompaniment to the heartfelt lyrics.
10. Halo — by Beyoncé
This poignant power ballad from Beyoncé is hands-down her most passionate vocal performance to-date. Halo may have been a hit when it came out in 2008, but more than a decade later, it remains a popular wedding song.
11. You’re Still The One — by Shania Twain
A massive hit from 1997, this Grammy-winning song from the Canadian pop-country star features her signature vocals and romantic lyrics. If you enjoy country and pop love songs, this one gives you the best of both worlds.
12. Lucky — by Jason Mraz ft. Colbie Caillat
Another gem from Mraz, this Grammy-winning song was a collaboration with Caillat both lyrically and vocally. The lyrics talk about falling in love with one’s best friend and just how sweet that love can be.
13. Come Away With Me — by Norah Jones
This No. 1 pop-jazz hit features beguiling lyrics and soft, sultry music. Combine that with Jones’ unique, seductive vocals and you’ve got a winning combination for a romantic first dance.
14. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You — by Bryan Adams
This Grammy-winning power ballad by Canadian rocker Bryan Adams was featured in the 1991 soundtrack for Prince of Thieves. The lyrics speak of a love worth dying for — and what could be more romantic for a first dance?
15. I Need You — by LeAnn Rimes
Pop-country artist LeAnn Rimes’ 2001 tune, which spent 25 weeks on Billboard’s Hot 100 list, has everything you could possibly want from a love song: romantic lyrics and powerful, heartfelt vocals that are sure to bring a tear to the eye.
16. Then — by Brad Paisley
A two times platinum single from Brad Paisley, this tune is a great choice for couples looking for a country song to dance to. The lyrics talk about how love grows and expands in a devoted relationship.
17. I Do (Cherish You) — by Mark Wills
A top 10 favorite in 1998, the title pretty much says it all, for this piano-driven country hit. The lyrics talk about having life-long love and devotion for one special person.
18. No One — by Alicia Keys
This 2007 R&B tune topped the charts for five consecutive weeks after its release and still remains a favorite love song of many thanks in large part to Keys’ vocal prowess. The heartfelt lyrics of finding and loving “the one” is sure to resonate with many soon-to-be married couples.
19. How Long Will I Love You — by Ellie Goulding
This 2013 cover from English singer Ellie Goulding is heavy on piano, but not so much that it overpowers her slightly vulnerable vocals. The lyrics are sweet and sentimental without being sappy, so it’s no surprise this song is a popular choice for weddings.
20. Truly Madly Deeply — by Savage Garden
Australian pop duo Savage Garden’s chart topping tune has everything a love song needs: romantic lyrics, lilting melodies and dreamy vocals. It’s no wonder this 1997 song remains a staple at wedding receptions.
Most popular first dance songs (classic)
1. At Last — by Etta James
One of the most iconic wedding songs of all time, this 1960s R&B-jazz single became James’ signature song. Her passionate contralto vocals and romantic lyrics about finally finding love continue to make this a popular pick with brides and grooms.
2. Can’t Help Falling in Love — by Elvis Presley
Etta James may be the queen of classic wedding songs, but Elvis is the king. Can’t Help Falling in Love is not only regarded as one of the greatest songs of all time by Rolling Stone, it has been covered by numerous artists although the original remains the most famous.
3. Unchained Melody — by The Righteous Brothers
Despite the slightly melancholy undertones to this beautiful love song recorded by the Righteous Brothers in 1965, it remains a popular choice at weddings. It enjoyed a huge spike in popularity in 1990 when it was used in the soundtrack of box office blockbuster Ghost and is considered one of the best love songs of all time.
4. God Only Knows — by The Beach Boys
This sophisticated love ballad from 1966 has been praised by critics as one of the greatest songs ever written. The beautiful lead vocals of Carl Wilson and signature harmonies of the rest of the band have truly made this song stand the test of time.
5. My Girl — by The Temptations
This No. 1 hit for the Temptations has become their signature song and is still played regularly on classic radio stations. Sweet lyrics and great harmonies make this song ideal for your first dance.
6. Let’s Stay Together — by Al Green
A No. 1 Billboard hit, Let’s Stay Together also made Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It’s the perfect choice for couples who want a love song with an R&B groove.
7. Stand By Me — by Ben E. King
A top 10 hit in 1961, this song has been covered by a variety of artists but none of the covers quite hold up to King’s original rendition of this beautiful song. The lyrics talk about how being in a loving relationship gives one the strength to face any battle — definitely something for all newly married couples to aspire to.
8. Unforgettable — by Nat King Cole ft. Natalie Cole
Originally recorded in 1951, the song was reworked 40 years later to create a duet with Cole’s daughter, Natalie. Both versions are beautiful, but the duet is especially poignant.
9. This Magic Moment — by Ben E. King and The Drifters
This 1960 song spent 11 weeks on Billboard’s top 100 chart and is still played regularly on classic radio. It’s melodic music, romantic lyrics and great vocals make this a natural choice for a first dance.
10. When a Man Loves a Woman — by Percy Sledge
Hitting No. 1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B singles charts, When a Man Loves a Woman was a huge hit for Percy Sledge in 1966. While Bette Midler and Michael Bolton both covered the song successfully, Sledge’s rendition remains the most popular.
11. You Are So Beautiful — by Joe Cocker
You Are So Beautiful is the most successful solo song of Cocker’s career thanks in large part to the musical abilities of Beach Boy Dennis Wilson, who was thought to have influenced the song. Cocker’s raspy voice flows well with the lyrics to make this the perfect love song for classic rock fans.
12. You Send Me — by Sam Cooke
Known as Cooke’s signature song, You Send Me hit No. 1 on both Billboard’s R&B and top 100 charts and was named one of the 500 most important rock ’n roll recordings by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Cooke’s smooth, easy vocals combined with great lyrics also make this an ideal first dance song.
13. I’ll Be There — by The Jackson 5
Inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2011, this ballad from 1970 features the pure vocals of a young Michael Jackson. Sung with a passion beyond most youngsters, Jackson’s lead vocal on I’ll be there is what makes this love song so special.
14. It Had to Be You — by Ella Fitzgerald
The Grammy award-winning singer’s rendition of It Had to Be You is a jazz standard and a popular choice for weddings. Fitzgerald’s melodic voice combined with romantic lyrics make this a great stand-in for the more popular At Last by Etta James.
15. Come Fly With Me — by Frank Sinatra
This 1958 single from Frank Sinatra features his signature smooth vocals and big band sound, making it a perfect choice for couples who want to waltz.
16. Something — by The Beatles
Written by George Harrison to his then-wife Pattie Boyd, this 1969 ballad also makes Rolling Stone’s 500 greatest songs list. It’s sincerely simple lyrics and Harrison’s great guitar work make this a lovely first dance choice.
17. The Way You Look Tonight — by Tony Bennett
Recorded back in 1958, this cover of Fred Astaire’s 1930s song was featured in My Best Friend’s Wedding and hit No. 3 on Billboard’s easy listening chart. Bennet also recorded a beautiful duet with country singer Faith Hill in 2011, giving you two great versions to choose from.
18. Crazy Love — by Van Morrison
Since being released by Van Morrison in 1970, classic rock song Crazy Love has been covered by a number of artists. Morrison’s signature sound makes the original a natural choice but Michael Bublé’s version is also a good choice for someone who wants a jazz sound.
19. L-O-V-E — by Nat King Cole
This jazzy song from Nat King Cole was on the 1965 album of the same name and has become a standard covered by a variety of artists. While no one can match his vocals, Joss Stone’s version of the song in 2007 would work for those who prefer a more modern take.
20. We’ve Only Just Begun — by The Carpenters
This 1970 hit song from brother-sister duo The Carpenters can be found on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list. Karen Carpenter’s effortlessly beautiful contralto voice makes every song, including this romantic ballad, an enjoyable listen.
Other Amazing First Dance Songs to Consider
While these songs didn’t make our top 40 list of best modern and classic first dance songs, these 200-plus songs are all amazing choices for your initial wedding dance together.
From pop to rock to R&B and more, our guide has all of the top love songs from every genre, so don’t be afraid to explore musical categories you would usually give a pass to. You might just find a song that resonates with your story as a couple.
Broken down by style or genre and listed in alphabetical order, we’ve made it easy to find all of your favorite romantic, wedding-worthy songs.
Romantic First Dance Songs
- Back At One — by Brian McKnight
- Better Together — by Jack Johnson
- Breathe — by Faith Hill
- Die a Happy Man — by Thomas Rhett
- Drowning — by Backstreet Boys
- Endless Love — by Lionel Richie ft. Shania Twain
- Falling In Love With You Again — by Imelda May
- First Time Ever I Saw Your Face — by Leona Lewis
- From This Moment On – by Shania Twain ft. Bryan White
- Heaven — by Bryan Adams
- Hello My Love — by Westlife
- How Do I Live — by LeAnn Rimes
- I Knew I Loved You — by Savage Garden
- Love Me Like You Do — by Ellie Goulding
- Let’s Fall In Love — by Diana Krall
- Love You More — by JLS
- Now and Forever — by Richard Marx
- Perfect — by Ed Sheeran
- Stay With You — by John Legend
- Tenerife Sea — by Ed Sheeran
Sentimental First Dance Songs
- A Million Love Songs – by Take That
- A Moment Like This – by Kelly Clarkson
- Always — by Atlantic Starr
- Because You Loved Me — by Céline Dion
- I Choose You — by Ryann Darling
- I Just Called to Say I Love You — by Stevie Wonder
- I Swear — All-4-One
- Inside Your Heaven — by Carrie Underwood
- Have You Ever Been in Love — by Céline Dion
- Here and Now — by Luther Vandross
- My Love — by Westlife
- One Great Mystery — by Lady Antebellum
- The Very Thought of You — by Michael Bublé
- Take My Breath Away — Berlin
- The Book of Love — by Peter Gabriel
- There Is No Greater Love — by Amy Winehouse
- This I Promise You — by NSYNC
- Vision of Love — by Mariah Carey
- Wind Beneath My Wings — by Bette Midler
- You & I — by One Direction
Pop First Dance Songs
- Falling Like the Stars — by James Arthur
- First Love Song — by Across the Sky
- Forever — by Ben Harper
- Greatest Day — by Take That
- Kiss Me — by Ed Sheeran
- I Am Yours — Andy Grammer
- I’m Yours — by Jason Mraz
- Just the Way You Are — by Billy Joel
- Like I Do — Brian McKnight
- Little Things — by One Direction
- Over And Over Again — by Nathan Sykes
- 99 Years — by Josh Groban ft. Jennifer Nettles
- No Place — by Backstreet Boys
- Stolen — by Dashboard Confessional
- When You Say Nothing At All — by Ronan Keating
- XO — by John Mayer
- You Sang to Me — by Marc Anthony
- Your Song — by Ellie Goulding
- Yours — by Ella Henderson
Rock First Dance Songs
- All I Want is You — by U2
- Chasing Cars — by Snow Patrol
- Crush — Dave Matthews Band
- I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing — by Aerosmith
- I Wanna Remember — by NEEDTOBREATHE ft. Carrie Underwood
- I Want You Around — by The Ramones
- Heaven — by Warrant
- Have I Told You Lately That I Love You — Rod Stewart
- Love at First Sight — by John Mellencamp
- Love of a Lifetime — by Firehouse
- Love Will Keep Us Alive — by The Eagles
- Miss You In a Heartbeat — by Def Leppard
- More Than Words — by Extreme
- Thank You For Loving Me — by Bon Jovi
- There Will Be Time — by Mumford & Sons featuring Baaba Maal
- To Be With You — Mr. Big
- When I See You Smile — by Bad English
- Wonderful Tonight — by Eric Clapton
- You and Me — Alice Cooper
Country First Dance Songs
- Blessed — by Thomas Rhett
- Could I Have This Dance — by Anne Murray
- God, Your Mama and Me — by Florida Georgia Line ft. Backstreet Boys
- I Do — by Paul Brandt
- I’ll Still Be Loving You — by Restless Heart
- I Met a Girl — by William Michael Morgan
- Islands In the Stream — by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers
- Just a Kiss — by Lady Antebellum
- Lady — by Kenny Rogers
- Look at Me — by Carrie Underwood
- Making Memories of Us — by Keith Urban
- My Love — by Little Texas
- My Best Friend — by Tim McGraw
- Nobody But You — by Blake Shelton with Gwen Stefani
- Promise to Love Her — by Blane Howard
- 10,000 Hours — Dan + Shay ft. Justin Bieber
- That’s How You Know It’s Love — by Deana Carter
- Thinkin’ About You — by Trisha Yearwood
- Your Love Amazes Me — by John Berry
- Yours — by Russell Dickerson
R&B First Dance Songs
- All My Life — by K-Ci & JoJo
- Angel of Mine — by Monica
- Best Part – Daniel Caesar ft. H.E.R.
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You — by Lauryn Hill
- Dontchange — by Musiq Soulchild
- Every Kind Of Way — by H.E.R.
- Find Someone Like You — by Snoh Aalegra
- For You I Will — by Monica
- Forever My Lady — by Jodeci
- Happily Ever After — by Case
- If I Ain’t Got You — Alicia Keys
- Kiss of Life — by Sade
- Make It Last Forever — by Keith Sweat
- Never Let You Go — by Faith Evans
- One Great Love — by David Hollister
- Ribbon in the Sky — by Stevie Wonder
- Spend My Life with You — by Eric Benét and Tamia
- Steady Love — by India Arie
- Why I Love You — by MAJOR.
- You Give Good Love — by Whitney Houston
Classic First Dance Songs
- Always and Forever — by Heatwave
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off You — by Frankie Valli
- Come Rain or Come Shine — by Ray Charles
- Earth Angel — by Marvin Berry &The Starlighters
- For the Love of You, Pts. 1 & 2 — by The Isley Brothers
- Forever — by Dennis Wilson
- Heaven — by Carl Wilson
- I’m Gonna Make You My Wife — by the Whispers
- Let There Be Love — by Nat King Cole
- Love and Happiness — by Al Green
- Only With You — by The Beach Boys
- P.S. I Love You — by The Beatles
- Put Your Head on My Shoulder — by Paul Anka
- Real Love — by The Beatles
- Save the Last Dance for Me — by The Drifters
- Fly Me to the Moon— by Frank Sinatra
- True Love — by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly
- That’s How Strong My Love Is — by Otis Redding
- The Wonder of You — by Elvis Presley
- Words of Love — Buddy Holly
Inspirational First Dance Songs
- Always Only You — by Josh Wilson
- Bless the Broken Road — by Rascal Flatts
- God Gave Me You — by Dave Barnes
- Hundred More Years — by Francesca Battistelli
- I Promise (Wedding Song) — by CeCe Winans
- I’ll Wait for You — by Moriah Peters
- I Will Be Here — by Steven Curtis Chapman
- Jesus & You — by Matthew West
- Love Like This — by Lauren Daigle
- Love Never Fails — by Brandon Heath
- Love is Not a Fight — by Warren Barfield
- Love Will Be Enough For Us — by Brandon Heath
- Meant to Be — by JJ Heller
- 1,000 Miles — by Mark Schultz
- Thank God I Got Her — by Jonny Diaz
- The Day Before You — by Matthew West
- Unfailing Love — by Jimmy Needham
- Wedding Song (There is Love) — by Noel Paul Stookey
- When God Made You — by NewSong
- When I Say I Do — by Matthew West