Every bride wants to look beautiful on her wedding day. And a big part of that is choosing the right wedding dress to say “I do” in.
Knowing which wedding dress designers best suit your own personal style before hitting bridal salons and boutiques can really help take some of the stress out of dress shopping. But where should you start?
Just like any clothing designer, wedding dress designers each have their own unique approach to fashion. That’s why it’s so important to do some Internet reconnaissance to determine which designers share your bridal fashion vision before you start shopping.
To help you on your bridal fashion journey, we’ve put together a list of the best wedding dress designers, based on your personal style. Even if the salons you shop at don’t have a dress by the designer you favor, letting your consultant know whose designs you like will help her to find you something similar.
Determining Your Personal Style
Before diving into a designer search, it’s important to know what style of wedding dresses you favor. Gowns can usually be broken down into seven categories:
- Traditional or classic — Modest necklines, full or a-line skirts and lace go hand-in-hand with a traditional or classic wedding gown. Designed to be timeless with simple silhouettes that never go out of fashion, these bridal dresses can work with almost any style of wedding.
- Romantic — Ball gowns are a classic example of a romantic wedding dress, but other dramatic silhouettes can fall into this category too if they have a lot of lace and beading. Perfect for semi-formal or formal weddings, this style of dress was made for brides who want to feel like a princess.
- Glamorous — These gowns are all about drama and often come with a lot of sparkle and bling. Glamorous bridal couture is best suited to semi-formal or black-tie weddings.
- Vintage — Inspired by the designs of the past with details such as art deco beading and lots of antique-style lace, these wedding dresses are dreamy rather than showy.
- Modern — These contemporary wedding dresses are all about simple elegance and little if any embellishment. The cut of the dress is the focus.
- Boho — This style of wedding dress is ethereal and effortless and combines light, floaty fabrics with simple design. Perfect for beach nuptials and casual ceremonies, boho dresses are usually made with comfort and ease of movement in mind.
- Sexy — Form fitting and attention-grabbing, a sexy wedding dress will hug your body and may be low cut in the front and the back. These dresses may also use sheer fabrics in strategic places or incorporate a slit in the skirt to show off your legs.
Who are the Right Wedding Dress Designers for You?
With so many designers to choose from, you’ll probably find at least a few wedding dress designers that offer gowns that match your vision. And, now that you have a handle on what types of gowns work with your personal style, it’s time to match up style and wedding dress designers.
If you favor a look of timeless elegance, then these traditional wedding dress designers are sure to impress you.
- Sareh Nouri — If you’ve always admired royal weddings, you won’t want to miss Sareh Nouri’s collection of dresses inspired by real-life princesses. The Kate, inspired by the Duchess of Cambridge, and the Meghan, inspired by the Duchess of Sussex, are timeless designs every traditional bride will love.
- Anne Barge — The queen of classic, many of Anne Barge’s dresses favor traditional silhouettes and lace like the romantic Crystal Twilight gown with its floating crinoline skirt or the elegant Rossellini in tulle and chantilly lace.
- Justin Alexander — With timeless silhouettes and gorgeous touches of lace, well known designer Justin Alexander’s Braelynn and Briony gowns are just a few designs you’re sure to love.
- Maggie Sottero — While Maggie Sottero does offer a number of different styles and silhouettes, her classic dresses are gorgeous. The shimmery Xavier dress with removable sheer sleeves, will make you feel like a princess while the modest lace Carrie Leigh is perfect for a bride who prefers to stay covered.
- Peter Langer — Ultra feminine and timeless, Peter Langer is a designer who favors lace, luxury fabrics and well-cut silhouettes. The Melodie, a timeless tulle gown with lace floral details, is just one example of Langer’s classic craftsmanship. The Orietta with its hand embroidered bodice and Swarovski crystals is also classically lovely.
- David’s Bridal — If you favor classic bridal dresses, but want to cap your spending at $1,000, then David’s Bridal is a great option. From this lace over satin wedding dress to this cap-sleeved gown with intricate beading, there are plenty of traditional gowns to choose from.
Are you a romantic? Are you looking for a one-of-a-kind wedding dress that will bring romance and elegance to your big day? If this is the type of wedding dress you seek, these wedding dress designers won’t disappoint.
- Vera Wang — This iconic designer never limits herself to one style, but it’s her romantic dresses that are the most celebrated of all of her designs. The Louisa, with its strapless draped tulle bodice and the Fawn with its soft blossom flange skirt are perfect examples of why Vera Wang is one of the go-to designers for romantic wedding dresses.
- Kleinfeld — If you’ve always wanted to look like a princess on your wedding day, Kleinfeld of ‘Say Yes to the Dress’ fame in New York City can help. Its Disney Fairy Tale Weddings collection is ideal for any bride seeking a bit of classic drama. What could possibly fill the bill better than the Belle or the Cinderella with their full skirts of sparkle tulle and crystal embellishments?
- Hayley Paige — Sophistication and charm are the order of the day with Hayley Paige’s wedding dresses. Sold at a number of bridal salons, her gowns are absolutely gorgeous. Nothing says romance like her textured Max or the off-the shoulder Lyla gowns.
- Pnina Tornai — Israeli designer Pnina Tornai is known for her signature corset design, quality hand-embroidery and sexy yet romantic silhouettes. This lace appliqué gown is the epitome of romance as is this tulle gown with a sheer corseted bodice.
- Monique Lhuillier — Known for ultra-feminine dresses with dramatic tulle skirts, soft filmy fabrics and custom details, Monique Lhuillier’s designs are truly unique. The lacy Arabella, with its off-the-shoulder neckline and the voluminous Daydream are just two beautiful examples of her bridal creations.
- Bride Lily — A budget ball gown can be yours at Bride Lily for less than $500. So, whether you want a lacy dress with a train or a gown with a lot of sparkle, you’re sure to find a number of beautiful dresses for $300 or less.
A mixture of modern and romantic, glamorous wedding dresses are ideal for any bride who wants to combine old Hollywood charm with the modern fashion of today. While there are many wedding dress designers who favor this style, these are five of the best:
- Lazaro Bridal — Lazaro Perez is known for his one-of-a kind gowns that combine dramatic silhouettes with hand-beading, embroidery and lace. If you adore old-Hollywood glamour, then you’re sure to love his collections. The Olivia with its detachable train and this beaded gown both offer a sophisticated look.
- Jean-Ralph Thurin — If you enjoy haute couture designs, you’re sure to love Jean-Ralph Thurin’s glamorous collection of gowns. Beadwork and lace appliques combined with sexy silhouettes make each bridal gown feminine and dramatic. Check out his Shimmer and Evolution collections.
- Reem Acra — This Lebanese designer is all about couture and often features elaborate embroideries in her collection of wedding dresses. Her ‘Love From New York’ collection is all about glamour and exquisite details.
- Carolina Herrera — Carolina Herrera’s wedding gowns are the epitome of elegance with their dramatic details and luxurious fabrics. Her Fall 2021 Bridal Collection runs the gamut from removable full skirts, to drop waists to strapless bridal gowns, but one thing each dress has in common is luxury and glamour.
- Oscar de la Renta — This internationally known style maven designed haute couture for decades before launching his first bridal line in 2006. Despite his death in 2014, Oscar de la Renta wedding dresses are some of the most sought-after and are known for their eye-catching silhouettes and glamorous details. The spring 2021 collection, which is all about elegant drama, is ideal for any bride who loves high fashion.
- Rebecca Ingram — A designer for Maggie Sottero, Rebecca Ingram focuses on creating beautiful dresses for the bride on a budget. This gown with its plunging illusion neckline and this flowy yet sexy gown with spaghetti straps and thigh-high slit are just two of her designs that retail for less than $1,200 but don’t sacrifice on style.
If you’re not a fan of a lot of lace or bling, then a modern wedding dress is for you. With their clean lines and few embellishments, these minimalist dresses are perfect for any bride who takes her inspiration from simple yet sophisticated fashions. Here are our picks for the best wedding dress designers for brides who prefer modern designs.
- Amsale — Headquartered in New York City, this designer focuses on simple, feminine designs with sparse yet elegant embellishments for a timeless, modern look. The unadorned Tenille gown is a great example of romantic minimalism while the simple Stokely is made special with subtle jeweled straps and a tulle sash.
- Alexandra Grecco — Alexandra Grecco’s passion is clean lines and minimal embellishment so the bride will never be overshadowed by the dress. If you want an unadorned gown, the halter cut Stone gown might be up your alley. If you want a dress with a little more detail, the glamorous yet simple Laurel gown offers minimal hand-beaded appliqué panels on the train for a luxurious finish.
- Alex Perry — High-end fabrics and haute couture come together for some truly beautiful gowns every modern bride is sure to adore with Alex Perry’s collections. The off-the-shoulder neckline and satin crepe train make the Caroline simple yet elegant while the clear sequins and a low scoop back make the ultra-modern Kate shine.
- THEIA — If you favor sleek and sophisticated gowns, THEIA is a good option for you. The Adriene with its exquisite yet minimal beading on the bodice, offers modern chic while the Luciana is all about subtle flare.
- Savannah Miller — Known for her minimalist dresses, this designer’s 2021 collections are both elegant and understated. The stand out in the fall/winter collection, The Lady of the Lake, is the Milly with its subtle floral lace layer and draped capped sleeves. Aurora, her spring/summer collection, is beautiful in its simplicity, with the corseted Elsa stealing the show.
- Azazie — Simple designs and sexy silhouettes can always be found at Azazie. In fact, you can find gorgeous dresses for as little as $200, like this stretch crepe gown with matching face mask.
If you’ve always loved the gowns from the past with their romantic details and bountiful lace, it makes sense to look for vintage inspired dresses. Here are five of the best wedding dress designers offering old-fashioned elegance mixed with modern style.
- Casablanca Bridal — Casablanca Bridals’ vintage collection is absolutely breathtaking with tons of lace and antique-style beads and embellishments. The Vienna and the Katiya are both modern takes on retro wedding dresses that you’ll be sure to love.
- Pronovias — If you want to look lovely in lace for a true vintage feel, the Darnell and the Bette from Pronovias won’t disappoint. Known for a wide range of collections, Pronovias’ vintage-inspired collection is particularly lovely.
- Jenny Packham — If you’re looking for modern vintage couture, then look no farther than Jenny Packham’s fall 2021 collection. The Anice and Kenzy dresses offer a slim silhouette while the Bluebell and Moira sport dreamy full skirts. No matter what your vintage style, you’re sure to find something to suit you with these ultra feminine gowns.
- Martina Liana — If you want a sexy, vintage dress, Martina Liana is one of the best designers around. Many of her bridal dresses marry retro touches with contemporary designs like this antique lace fit and flare dress or this floral lace creation made sexy with its plunging neckline and scoop back.
- Essence of Australia — Luxurious fabric, exquisite beadwork and, of course, lace make this designer a perfect fit for any bride who wants to wear a dress full of retro charm. This lace wedding dress with cameo back and this off-the-shoulder dress with chiffon train get their inspiration from yesteryear and are perfect for any bride who favors vintage styles.
- JJ’s House — From tea-length wedding dresses to lacy a-line gowns to vintage sheaths, JJ’s House has a great range of retro styles. And, with dresses for less than $300, you can wear a gorgeous dress on your special day without breaking the bank.
Bohemian wedding dresses have a fun, casual vibe and often incorporate unconventional touches like dolman sleeves or an unexpected color. Here are some of the best wedding dress designers for a bride with a relaxed vision for her big day:
- Willowby by Watters — This unique bridal designer is one of the best choices for boho chic wedding dresses. The Sierra with its detachable armbands and hand-placed embroidery is a great example of what Willowby by Watters offers. Having a boho beach wedding? The Marcail with its soft sleeves and open back is just one of several great dresses to choose from.
- Claire Pettibone — Whimsical and ethereal are two of the first adjectives to describe this designer’s unique gowns. From carefree designs like the Gypsy Rose to the ethereal Stardust gown, Pettibone’s dresses boast lots of lace and intricate touches. So, if you’re looking for boho wedding designs, these beautifully-crafted gowns will offer a custom look for your nuptials.
- Lotus Threads — Vintage meets bohemian with this bridal designer. With a wide range of dresses for the more casual bride, the collection includes a variety of silhouettes. With its sheer bodice and flowy sleeves, the Ina is perfect for a boho chic wedding while the hand-beaded Ostra is perfect for garden and beach weddings alike.
- Elizabeth Fillmore — Designing for the “modern romantic,” brides seeking a custom look are sure to love Elizabeth Fillmore’s signature bias cut slip dresses with a touch of bohemian flair. The Clarice shows off her signature style: a simple sheath gown with a lattice lace bodice while the Josephine features long sheer sleeves and lots of lace for a lovely boho look.
- Eliza Jane Howell — If you’re having a hard time deciding between vintage or bohemian dresses, your search is over. This London-based designer mixes retro and boho chic together for some truly unique and beautiful bridal styles. This collection is just one example of her fabulous designs.
- BHLDN — If you’re looking for a beach wedding dress on a budget, then you’ll want to check out the boho collection at BHLDN. From lovely and lacey to cute and casual BHLDN’s designs are perfect for any boho bride. And, with most styles coming in at $2,000 or less, it’s easy to find a stylish gown at a bargain price.
Brides are no longer afraid to flaunt their sex appeal on their big day. And that is why so many wedding dress designers are creating daring designs that show off the bride’s body to perfection. If you’re searching for some sexy styles to choose from, these designers are five of your best options.
- Randy Fenoli — No one does sexy better than Say Yes to the Dress host and wedding dress designer Randy Fenoli. The daring Barcelona with its eye-catching train and the corseted Ava are both stunning examples of how elegance and sex appeal can go hand-in-hand.
- Galia Lahav — If you want a made-to-order wedding dress with a sexy silhouette, Galia Lahva could be just what you’re looking for. The Miranda with its sheer high neck and thigh-high slit or the body-hugging Serena are just two designs that are sure to make the groom’s jaw drop on your wedding day.
- Berta — This designer is all about making a bride feel gorgeous on her special day. Each of Berta’s collections have sexy creations, but the Athens and the Milano collections in particular offer a variety of sultry silhouettes with stunning attention to detail.
- Victoria Kyriakides — Equal parts traditional and sexy, Victoria Kyriakides’ collection of bridal wear is perfect for women who want to be sexy in a slightly more subtle way. The Crystal and the Gardenia are ideal for brides who want to mix daring with traditional style.
- Francesca Miranda — Francesca Miranda’s signature sexy style is tempered with tradition giving every bride a dress that is totally unexpected. You can expect to find ball gowns with a peek-a-boo midriff or sheaths with a sheer lace bodice in her 2021 collection. Her wedding dresses never fail to have an impact.
- The Dress Warehouse — Whether you want to wear a form fitting gown, a dress with a thigh-high slit or a design that highlights your cleavage, you’re sure to find a collection of sexy styles for cheap at The Dress Warehouse.
If you’re on the hunt for wedding dresses, knowing which designers match your signature style can make all of the difference between an enjoyable shopping experience and tearing your hair out in frustration.
Once you know precisely what type of dresses you like best, it’s easy to match wedding dress designers with your preferred bridal style. With this information in mind, you’ll be well on your way toward finding the perfect dress for your big day in record time.