Perhaps the most meaningful words you’ll ever speak, your wedding vows should be the most memorable part of your entire ceremony. Not only do they express your intent to love and be faithful to one another, it’s your chance to tell your future spouse why you chose them.
Writing your own vows also allows you to personalize them based on your beliefs, hopes for the future and the uniqueness of your relationship. But what if writing isn’t your thing or you have a serious case of writer’s block? Should you give up and repeat the traditional marriage vows uttered by your officiant?
No! Our wedding vows for her will help you wow your future spouse on your special day. Whether you want something sweet, funny, traditional or religious, we’ve come up with more than 90 unique ways to pledge your love to your partner.
In This Article
Traditional Wedding Vows
Are you having a traditional wedding? These lines offer a foundation to build your vows around.
- “With God as my witness, I promise to love, honor and care for you, no matter what comes our way. You are my forever and always love.”
- “I promise to be your loving and faithful wife in prosperity and in hardship, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, as long as I draw breath.”
- “No matter what comes our way, I will love and comfort you, honor and keep you and I vow to be yours alone as long as we both shall live.”
- “Today I make a covenant, before God and these witnesses, to be your loving and faithful wife in abundance and in want, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, for as long as we’re blessed to live.”
- “You are my best friend and I can’t imagine life without you. I will love and honor you all the days of my life.”
- “Our love is a blessing I will forever be thankful for. I pledge my heart and my life to you and will be faithful until my dying day.”
- “Today, I join my life to yours, as your wife, your lover and your friend. I promise to love and cherish you each and every day of our lives.”
- “I vow to be devoted to you above all others and to love you for the rest of my life.”
- “I vow to give you my love, support and faithfulness as long as we are blessed to live.”
- “No one has loved me quite like you have. Thank you for being my best friend and loving me just as I am. I promise to give you that same kind of love — an unconditional love — as long as we both shall live.”
Romantic Wedding Vows
There is no time like a wedding to get a bit sentimental. If you’re ready to bare your heart to your spouse-to-be, here are a few vows to inspire you.
- “From the first moment we met, I knew you were the only one for me. You made me believe in love at first sight. And now that I stand here beside you, dedicating myself to you for the rest of our lives, I know our love will grow more and more every day — because we are meant to be.”
- “From the first time we kissed, I knew we were meant to be together. You have become the sweetest part of my dreams and the very beating of my heart. I love you more than life itself and I can’t wait to spend forever with you.”
- “You are my soulmate, my best friend and my dream come true. I love you with my whole heart and can’t wait to be your wife.”
- “You are my one true love and I promise to cherish every moment we have together beginning now and for the rest of our lives.”
- “I promise to be the shoulder you lean on, your rock when times get tough, your companion through thick and thin. I love you more than life itself and will spend every day of my life showing you how much you mean to me.”
- “On this day, as I give you myself, I am excited about our future together. I promise to be your shelter in the storm and to celebrate each and every victory with you. Your heart is my heart, your dreams are my dreams and I promise to love you more each day.”
- “You make me happier than I’ve ever been. I can’t imagine my life without you. You are my soulmate, my confidante, my one and only from now until forever. I love you.”
- “True love is finding your soulmate in your best friend — and that is what we have found in each other. You make me happier than I’ve ever been and I vow to spend every day of our lives making you just as happy as you’ve made me.”
- “From the moment we met I’ve had eyes only for you. You are the one who makes me feel happy, safe and loved. You are everything I’ve ever wanted in a husband and I promise to love you from now until eternity.”
- “They say that love doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to be true. And that is the kind of love I have for you. A love with no conditions or what ifs. A love that will stand the test of time.”
Sweet Wedding Vows
If you want to keep your vows short but sweet, these examples are sure to lend some inspiration.
- “I promise to show my love daily in both word and deed, to comfort you in times of trouble, and to celebrate with you in times of plenty. I promise this today and for all the days we are blessed to live.”
- “Our love is a blessing and I vow to be grateful for every day I share with you. I promise to always dream with you, celebrate with you and walk beside you no matter what comes our way. ”
- “I choose you today. I will choose you tomorrow. And I will choose you every day for the rest of our lives. You are my one and only and my love for you will never falter.”
- “You are the love of my life. You make me happier than I could have ever imagined and more loved than I ever thought was possible. So, I give you my hand, my heart, my love and all that I am, on this day and every day to come for the rest of our lives.”
- “I promise to stay by your side through thick and thin. Whatever our lives may bring, I will love you unreservedly and unconditionally through it all. This is my vow to you today and every day that is to come.”
- “Today, I give you my heart, and pledge my devotion and fidelity as I join my life to yours. I pledge to love you always, to make you laugh when things get rough and to celebrate life with you every step of the way.”
- “I promise to be your faithful companion, your place of solace and your partner in all things. I will love you, stand by you and champion you wherever our journey together may lead.”
- “I promise to love you not only today, but I promise to keep our love alive each and every day we’re blessed to be together. I promise to be your best friend, not only today but for the rest of our lives.”
- “I am overjoyed to become your wife on this day and I promise not only to love you unconditionally, but I promise to share your joys and your sorrows, to hold you up when you are low and to be devoted to you until death parts us.”
- “Our lives may change like the seasons, but I will love you. The winds of doubt may blow through, but I will love you. No matter what comes our way, I know that together, we will stand firm, strengthened by our love for each other until the end.”
Quirky Wedding Vows
Not every bride wants to wax poetic on her wedding day. If you’re looking for something heartfelt but a little offbeat, here are some lines to get you started.
- “I know we are meant for each other. You’re my person. You get me, just like I get you.”
- “I want the fairy tale and I know you are the only one who can give it to me. You are my prince charming.”
- “I am so grateful we found each other. You are the yin to my yang, the peanut butter to my jelly, my partner in crime.”
- “Our journey together is just beginning. It may not always be easy, but I know it will be a great ride. A love like ours is always worth it and I’m excited to spend the rest of our lives together.”
- “You make me laugh. You make me feel loved. You make everything feel right. There’s no one I’d rather grow old with than you.”
- “We are lovers and best friends, and I can’t wait to solve life’s mysteries with you at my side.”
- “It’s the little things in marriage that can mean the most. With that in mind, I promise to make you lemon meringue pie every year for your birthday. I promise to always cheer for your favorite football team. And I promise to always share my ice cream with you, even if it kills me.”
- “I vow to love you even when your hair turns gray, your face wrinkles and you forget to put in your dentures — because, to me, you’ll always be the most handsome man/most beautiful woman in the world.”
- “I promise to make you chicken soup and grilled cheese when you get a man-cold and to rub your feet after a long day of work.”
- “I will always delight in your company because no one can make me laugh like you do. I will always admire you because no one has my respect more than you do. And I will always love you because no one makes me feel like you do.”
Funny One-Liners For Your Wedding Vows
Whether you want to lighten things up a bit or you are an unabashed joker who can’t resist a zinger or two, here are some lines that are wedding vow-appropriate.
- “I promise not to nag you too much about picking your dirty socks up off the floor…unless you’re taking too long to do it.”
- “When we’re old, I promise to let you win at bridge and shuffleboard, just like I let you win at Scrabble and golf now.”
- “Even though I know you’re not perfect, I promise to continue to act like you are.”
- “I promise to laugh at all of your Star Wars references, even when I don’t understand them.”
- “I promise to love you more than that guy on Game of Thrones (or insert other celebrity crush).”
- “I promise to love you more than my morning coffee — and that’s a whole lot of love.”
- “I vow to love you, our children, and our dog. Don’t ask me in which order. Just be thankful you made the list.”
- “I promise to let you believe you’re right, even when you’re obviously wrong — at least once in a while.”
- “I promise to love you even when you’re old and still playing Nintendo.”
- “I vow to take your side when our future children decide to gang up on us.”
Famous Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
Sometimes it can be hard to say it better than someone else already has, so why fight it? Here are some of the best wedding-worthy quotes to use when writing your own vows.
- “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.”
— Maya Angelou
- “I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.”
— Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- “For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.”
— Judy Garland
- “I have for the first time found what I can truly love. I have found you.”
— Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
- “Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.”
— Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- “And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.”
— Kiersten White, The Chaos of Stars
- “Love is friendship on fire.”
– Susan Sontag
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.”
— Audrey Hepburn
- “Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.”
– Zora Neale Hurston
- “Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale.”
Poetry And Book Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
Even if you’re not an English major, you just can’t go wrong by using these lines penned by some of the greatest poets and authors to have ever lived.
- “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.”
— William Shakespeare, “Romeo and Juliet”
- “Doubt thou the stars are fire, Doubt the sun doth move, Doubt truth to be a liar but never doubt thy love.”
— William Shakespeare, “Hamlet”
- “I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.”
— Elizabeth Barret Browning, “How Do I Love Thee?”
- “Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be.”
— Robert Browning, “Rabbi Ben Ezra”
- “Love starts as a feeling, But to continue is a choice; And I find myself choosing you more and more every day.”
— Justin Wetch, “Bending the Universe”
- “I was made and meant to look for you and wait for you and become yours forever.”
― Robert Browning
- “You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought.”
— Arthur Conan Doyle, “The White Company”
- “I love thee as I love the tone of some soft-breathing flute whose soul is wak’d for me alone, when all beside is mute.”
— Eliza Acton
- “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you…I could walk through my garden forever.”
— Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- “Before you kissed me only winds of heaven had kissed me, and the tenderness of rain — Now you have come, how can I care for kisses like theirs again.”
— Sara Teasdale
- “You’re something between a dream and a miracle.”
— Elizabeth Barret Browning
Movie Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
Whether you’re a movie buff or just want to take some inspiration from the silver screen, here are some great movie quotes from romantic movies to enhance your wedding vows.
- “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more. That plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.”
— The Notebook
- “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.”
— The Lord of the Rings
- “You don’t marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you cannot live without.”
— P.S. I Love You
- “I’m also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.”
— Notting Hill
- “You’re the first boy I ever kissed, Jake, and I want you to be the last.”
— Sweet Home Alabama
- “I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love.”
— The Vow
- “Love is passion, obsession, someone you can’t live without. If you don’t start with that, what are you going to end up with?”
— Meet Joe Black
- “It’s like in that moment the whole universe existed just to bring us together.”
- “I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.”
— Dirty Dancing
- “Our love is like the wind. I can’t see it, but I can feel it.”
— A Walk to Remember
- “I’d rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you.”
- “My love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
—The Fault in Our Stars
Bible Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
If you’re having a faith-based ceremony or simply want to pay tribute to your Christian beliefs, here are some amazing quotes from the Bible.
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
— 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
— 1 Corinthians 13:13
- “Do everything in love.”
— 1 Corinthians 16:14
- “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear.”
— 1 John 4:18
- “I thank my God every time I think of you.”
— Philippians 1:3
- “I hold you in my heart, for we have shared together God’s blessings.”
— Philippians 1:7
- “I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.”
— Song of Solomon 2:16
- “Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away.”
— Song of Solomon 8:7
- “I have found the one whom my soul loves.”
— Song of Solomon 3:4
Muslim And Hindu Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
If you’re having a religious ceremony and are looking for the perfect Muslim or Hindu verse to use, here are a few of the best.
- “O mankind, be mindful of your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate.”
— Surah An-Nisa 4:1
- “He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquility in them, and He placed between you affection and mercy.”
— Surah Ar-Rum 30:21
- “Your spouses are a garment (comfort, chastity, and protection) for you as you are for them.”
— Surah Al-Baqarah 2:187
- “The blossom of Love will make the air fragrant, the river of Love will murmur along the valleys and every bird, beast and child will sing the song of Love.”
— Atharva Veda
Wedding Vows For Her FAQs
Whether you’re writing your own wedding vows or are just looking for a line or two to add to those your officiant traditionally offers, here is everything you’ll need to know to make your vows memorable.
What should I say in my wedding vows?
The truth is, there is no one formula that brides need to use to write beautiful, poignant or funny vows. The key to memorable wedding vows is speaking from the heart. To get started, you can either:
– Make a statement about who this person is to you (ie: your true love, your partner in crime).
– Say what you love most about your partner.
– Use a meaningful quote.
Next, make your promises to your partner or mention specific ways you will show your love to him or her.
Finally, wrap up your vows with a look to the future. You can mention what you’re looking forward to sharing with this special person or how your love will see you through every stage of life before ending with one last promise to love him or her forever, for the rest of our lives, for eternity or until death do us part.
Is it OK to make jokes during my wedding vows?
Jokes aren’t a requirement, but if something lighthearted suits your vibe as a couple, including some amusing statements is a great idea. That said, don’t make a joke just to be funny, make sure it is actually applicable to you and your future spouse as a couple.
If you are a naturally funny person, resist the urge to make the entirety of your vows funny. A mixture of amusing and heartfelt is key.
What should you not say in your vows?
When writing your vows, the key is to remember that even though you’re speaking them to your future spouse, your family and friends will all be listening so they need to be appropriate for everyone’s ears.
For that reason, you should never mention or include:
– Vulgar language
– Your partner’s shortcomings
– Exes or divorce
How long should wedding vows be?
There is only one major rule to follow when deciding on how long your wedding vows should be. Keep them at two minutes or less. Even if you could go on and on about how amazing your future spouse is, keeping your guests engaged is important. If you talk longer than two minutes, you’re sure to have a good number of your guests zoning out.
If you don’t like public speaking or simply prefer vows that are short and sweet, aim for a minimum of 30-45 seconds. This gives you the time you need to say something meaningful without appearing like you’re rushing through your ceremony.
Is it OK to read your wedding vows?
While memorizing your vows is ideal, not everyone is blessed with a perfect memory, especially if you’re feeling nervous and excited. We recommend memorizing your vows as best you can but having your notes on hand to refer to or read as needed.
If you find you do need to read them word for word, you’re not alone, many brides are so overcome with emotion that they forget the words they committed to memory. If this happens to you, don’t worry. Simply read from your notes. As long as you express the words with feeling, no one will be disappointed.