Some of the most important words you’ll ever speak will be to your future spouse on your wedding day. Your wedding vows will not only be something your bride/groom will remember forever, it is your chance to express your love to your partner.
Writing your own vows is the best way to personalize them based on your beliefs, the uniqueness of your relationship and your dreams for the future with your spouse. The good news is, even if you’re not a writer by trade, you’ve already made an excellent start just by reading this article.
Our wedding vows for him can serve as inspiration to help you kick-start your own hand-written vows, or you can mix and match different vows from our guide to create something unique and personal. Whichever route you choose, we can guarantee your future wife/husband will be sure to love your vows.
Traditional Wedding Vows
If you and your future spouse are a traditional couple, these are the perfect lines to add to your wedding vows.
- “With God as my witness, I promise to love, honor and cherish you through the good times and the bad. I will love you until my dying breath.”
- “In front of our family and friends, I promise to love you and be faithful to you in fortune and in want, in happiness and in sadness, in sickness and in health, as long as we both shall live.”
- “Sweetheart, you are everything I could ever want or need and I promise to love and comfort you, protect and honor you every day of our lives. I will be yours and yours alone as long as I draw breath. I love you.”
- “Today I make a covenant, before God and these witnesses, to be your loving and faithful husband in prosperity and in need, in joy and in sorrow, in sickness and in health, for as long as we’re blessed to live.”
- “You are the one thing in this world that I can’t live without. You’re my best friend and I will love and honor you all the days of my life.”
- “I will forever be thankful that God has blessed me with a love like yours. You mean everything to me and I pledge my heart and my life to you and will be faithful until my dying day.”
- “Today, in the sight of God, I join my life to yours, as your husband, your lover and your friend. I promise to love, cherish and protect you each and every day of our lives.”
- “I vow to be devoted to you above all others and to love you for the rest of my life.”
- “I vow to give you my love, support and faithfulness as long as we are blessed to live.”
- “I have never loved like I love you. I am so thankful that God has blessed me with someone like you and I promise, (NAME) to love you, cherish you, honor you and respect you as my wife/husband every day for the rest of our lives.”
Romantic Wedding Vows
Your wedding day is the perfect time to wow your partner with some romantic prose. If you’re ready to sweep your spouse-to-be off of her/his feet, here are a few vows to inspire you.
- “Your love brings peace to my heart and your smile brings joy to my soul. You make me a better man. And now that I stand here before you, dedicating myself to you as your husband for the rest of our lives, I know our love will grow more and more every day — because we are meant to be.”
- “My darling, forever with you could never be enough. You have become the sweetest part of my dreams and the very beating of my heart. I love you more than life itself and I vow to make the most of every moment that we will have together.”
- “When I look at you, I see forever in your eyes. You are my soulmate and my best friend. I love you with all that I am and I can’t wait for you to be my wife/husband.”
- “I take you as mine, knowing and loving you for who you are just as you love me for who I am. You are my heart and I promise to cherish every moment we have together beginning now and for the rest of our lives.”
- “Today I join my life to yours, not simply as your husband, but as your friend, your lover, your protector and your biggest fan. I promise to be your rock when times get tough and your companion through thick and thin. I love you more than I could have ever imagined and I will spend every single day of my life showing you how much you mean to me.”
- “I truly thank God for you because I know our love for each other is heaven-sent. Your heart is my heart, your dreams are my dreams and I promise to love you more fiercely with every second that goes by until I breathe my last.”
- “(NAME), when you came into my life, everything changed. You are the strength I never knew I needed and the joy I never knew I lacked. You have made me happier than I’ve ever been and now I can’t imagine ever being without you. You are my soulmate, my confidante, my lover and my best friend and I can’t wait to be your husband. I love you and will continue to love you for all of my days.”
- “Sweetheart, it is with pride and joy that I take you for my wife. You are my soulmate and my best friend and, together I know we can weather any storm and be the stronger for it. You make me happier than I’ve ever been and I vow to spend every day of our lives making you just as happy as you’ve made me.”
- “From the moment we met I’ve had eyes only for you. You are everything I’ve ever wanted in a wife/husband and I promise to be the husband you deserve. I promise to nurture your dreams and help you reach them. I promise to be loyal and true, to be supportive and caring and to protect you and provide for you. But, most of all, I promise to love you from now until eternity.”
- “They say that love doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to be true. And that is the kind of love we have for each other. There’s no one else I’d ever want to build a life with. You are my perfect match. My forever partner and my true love. (NAME), I promise to love you and cherish you every day of my life. I promise to make you feel safe, supported and respected. I adore you and I always will.”
Sweet Wedding Vows
Whether being sweet comes naturally to you or not, these examples are sure to lend some inspiration and impress your spouse on your special day.
- “I pledge to show my love daily and to have all the patience and passion that such a love demands. I promise to forever be by your side, to comfort you in times of trouble, and to celebrate with you in times of plenty. I make this promise today and will keep it for all the days we are blessed to live.”
- “Our love is a blessing and I vow to be grateful for every day I share with you. You are so precious to me, so I promise that I will always dream with you, celebrate with you and comfort you. You’ll never have to face the world alone because I will always be by your side, supporting you, loving you and cheering you on.”
- “I choose you today. I will choose you tomorrow. And I will choose you every day for the rest of our lives. You mean everything to me and I will love you for all the days of my life.”
- “You are my favorite person, and I choose you to be my partner in life. You make me happier than I could have ever imagined and more loved than I ever thought was possible. My heart is yours forever.”
- “The vows that I make to you today are more than promises. They are privileges. It will be my privilege to love you, support you, comfort you, protect you and honor you for the rest of my life.”
- “Today, I give you my heart, and promise to be the one who loves you most in this world.”
- “I promise to be your friend, your lover and your partner in all things. I will stand by you in good times and in bad and will comfort, cherish and honor you through it all. I love you.”
- “I promise to keep our love alive each and every day we’re blessed to be together. I promise to kiss you every day and may each kiss we share from now until forever remind us of our wedding vows, our joy, and everything we have found in each other.”
- “I am overjoyed to become your husband on this day and I promise not only to love you unconditionally, but I promise to share your joys and your sorrows, to hold you up when you are low and to be devoted to you until death parts us.”
- “I want nothing more than to share my future with you and, no matter what comes our way, I know that together, we will stand firm, strengthened by our love for each other until the end.”
Quirky Wedding Vows
If being romantic isn’t your thing, then these offbeat wedding vows are just the ticket. Although heartfelt, they are less lovey-dovey and are perfect for any groom who wants his vows to be special without being overly sweet.
- “I promise to treat you like a queen and to make your friends jealous of our amazing relationship.”
- “I am so thankful we found each other. You are the yin to my yang, the sun to my moon, the ping to my pong. We balance each other — and I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”
- “Our journey together is just beginning. It may not always be easy, but I know it will be a great ride. A love like ours is always worth it and I’m excited to spend the rest of our lives together.”
- “You make me happy. My life is better when you’re in it and now I can look forward to loving you for the rest of our lives.”
- “We are lovers and best friends, and I can’t wait to live life and grow old with you at my side.”
- “I know we are meant for each other. You’re my person. You get me, just like I get you.”
- “It’s the little things in marriage that can mean the most. That’s why I promise to make coffee for you every morning and watch sappy chick flicks with you. I even promise to let you hog the covers and put your cold feet on me at night — that’s how much I love you.”
- “I vow to love you even when your hair turns gray, your face wrinkles and you forget to put in your dentures — because, to me, you’ll always be the most beautiful woman/ most handsome man in the world.”
- “I promise to rub your feet after a long day of work and to let you have the last bite of cake.”
- “No one can make me laugh like you do. You’re the funniest person I know and I can’t wait to spend my life laughing at your jokes.”
Funny One-Liners For Your Wedding Vows
Your vows may not be the time or place to practice your stand up routine, but there’s no reason why you shouldn’t add a bit of levity if that’s your thing. Here are some great ways to inject a bit of humor into your vows.
- “I promise not to nag you too much about getting your tires rotated and oil changed …unless you’re taking way too long to do it.”
- “When we’re old, I promise to let you win at pinochle and lawn bowling, just like I let you win at Monopoly and tennis now.”
- “I promise to notice when you get a new hairstyle, put on a new outfit or buy a new purse for at least the first six months of marriage.”
- “It’s the little things in marriage that make a big difference. That is why I promise to always rub your feet after you’ve worn stilettos all day. I promise to make you coffee every morning. And I promise to always put the toilet seat down.”
- “I promise to love you more than I love (insert favorite sports team, band or celebrity).”
- “I vow to hold your hand when the movie is too scary, and not to eat all of the popcorn when you’re not looking.”
- “I vow to stay by your side until long after our skin is wrinkled and our hair turns gray, until our hearing aid batteries are dead and we can’t remember each other’s names.”
- “I love you for your brains, beauty and kindness. I also appreciate your impeccable taste. You chose me after all and it doesn’t get much better than that.”
- “I vow to take your side when our future children decide to gang up on us.”
- “I promise to unclog the vacuum, shower drain and bathtub, even though you are the only one of us with long hair.”
Famous Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
Adding a famous quote or saying to your vows can be a great way to get started or even to wrap up what you want to say. Here are some great suggestions for you to consider.
- “You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
- “It is love that makes the impossible possible.”
— Indian proverb
- “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.”
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength. While loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
— Lao Tzu
- “For all the things my hands have held, the best by far is you.”
― Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
- “There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.”
— Martin Luther
- “I can conquer the world with one hand, as long as you’re holding the other.”
- “I swear I couldn’t love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow.”
— Leo Christopher
- “Thinking of you keeps me awake. Dreaming of you keeps me asleep. Being with you keeps me alive.”
- “A hundred hearts would be too few to carry all my love for you.”
- “My love for you is a journey, starting at forever and ending at never.”
Poetry And Book Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
No one can write about love quite like a poet or author. If you’d like to borrow from some of the best, here are 10 great lines to enhance your vows.
- “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.”
— Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
- “I never saw so sweet a face as that I stood before. My heart has left its dwelling place and can return no more.”
— John Clare
- “Drink to me only with thine eyes, and I will pledge with mine; or leave a kiss but in the cup, and I’ll not look for wine.”
— Ben Jonson
- “Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be.”
— Robert Browning, “Rabbi Ben Ezra”
- “Love starts as a feeling, But to continue is a choice; And I find myself choosing you
more and more every day.”
— Justin Wetch, “Bending the Universe”
- “…for me there lies, within the lights and shadows of your eyes, the only beauty that is never old.”
― James Weldon Johnson
- “Her gesture, motion, and her smiles, her wit, her voice my heart beguiles, Beguiles my heart, I know not why, and yet, I’ll love her till I die.”
— Thomas Ford
- “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you.”
— Ernest H. Shepard, “Winnie-the-Pooh”
- “She walks in beauty, like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies; and all that’s best of dark and bright meet in her aspect and her eyes.”
— Lord Byron
- “Who, being loved, is poor?”
— Oscar Wilde, “A Woman of No Importance”
- “O, my Luve is like a red, red rose that’s newly sprung in June. O, my Luve is like the melodie, that’s sweetly played in tune.”
— Robert Burns
Movie Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
If you and your honey like watching movies together, choosing a line from your favorite film can be a nice touch. Here are some of our favorites.
- “I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss of her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.”
— City of Angels
- “It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together … and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home. .. only to no home I’d ever known … I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like … magic.”
— Sleepless in Seattle
- “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard. We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day.”
— The Notebook
- “I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love.”
— The Vow
- “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
— When Harry Met Sally
- “I love you. You complete me.”
— Jerry Maguire
- “You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love… I love… I love you.”
— Pride & Prejudice
- “They say when you meet the love of your life, time stops, and that’s true.”
— Big Fish
- “It doesn’t matter if the guy is perfect or the girl is perfect, as long as they are perfect for each other.”
— Good Will Hunting
- “When I first saw you, I felt like I knew you, and I couldn’t stop seeing my life with you, and building a family together.”
— The Light Between Oceans
- “It’s like in that moment the whole universe existed just to bring us together.”
- “My love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
—The Fault in Our Stars
Bible Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
If you’re having a faith-based ceremony or simply want to pay tribute to your Christian beliefs, here are some amazing quotes from the Bible.
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
— 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
— 1 Corinthians 13:13
- “Do everything in love.”
— 1 Corinthians 16:14
- “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear.”
— 1 John 4:18
- “I thank my God every time I think of you.”
— Philippians 1:3
- “I hold you in my heart, for we have shared together God’s blessings.”
— Philippians 1:7
- “I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.”
— Song of Solomon 2:16
- “Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away.”
— Song of Solomon 8:7
- “I have found the one whom my soul loves.”
— Song of Solomon 3:4
Muslim And Hindu Quotes For Your Wedding Vows
If you’re having a religious ceremony and are looking for the perfect Muslim or Hindu verse to use, here are a few of the best.
- “O mankind, be mindful of your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate.”
— Surah An-Nisa 4:1
- “He created for you from yourselves mates that you may find tranquility in them, and He placed between you affection and mercy.”
— Surah Ar-Rum 30:21
- “Your spouses are a garment (comfort, chastity, and protection) for you as you are for them.”
— Surah Al-Baqarah 2:187
- “The blossom of Love will make the air fragrant, the river of Love will murmur along the valleys and every bird, beast and child will sing the song of Love.”
— Atharva Veda
Wedding Vows For Him FAQs
Whether you’re starting from scratch or are just looking for a line or two to add to vows you’ve already penned, here is everything you’ll need to know to make them perfect.
What should I say in my wedding vows?
The key to amazing wedding vows is to stay true to your personality and to speak from the heart.
If you’ve yet to put pen to paper, or keys to keyboard, you can get started by:
– Making a statement about who this person is to you (ie: your true love, your soulmate etc).
– Saying what you love most about your future spouse.
– Using a meaningful quote.
Next, it’s time to make your pledges, promises and vows to your partner. This usually means stating how you will show your love to her/him in your life together as a married couple.
Finally, you can wrap up your vows by mentioning your future together. You can talk about the things you’re looking forward to sharing with this special person before ending with one last promise to love her/him forever.
Is it OK to make jokes during my wedding vows?
Jokes certainly aren’t a must, but if a bit of levity suits your vibe as a couple, including a funny phrase or two is a good idea. Just make sure any joke you do make is applicable to you and your future spouse as a couple and avoid making jokes just for the sake of being funny.
If joking comes easily to you, resist the urge to make the entirety of your vows funny. Your future spouse will appreciate some sincere and heartfelt statements too.
What should you not say in your vows?
There is always a fine line between funny and inappropriate, so make sure you don’t cross it when writing your vows. Not only are you speaking them to your future spouse, but your family and friends will all be listening so make sure your vows are appropriate for everyone’s ears.
To accomplish that, avoid vulgar language and never mention sex, your partner’s shortcomings, either of your ex-boyfriends or ex-girlfirends or, if one of you has been married previously, your divorce. All of these topics are in poor taste.
How long should wedding vows be?
Wedding vows should never exceed two minutes, no matter how many wonderful things you have to say about your future spouse. To keep your guests engaged and focused on what you’re saying, keeping your vows under the two-minute mark is key.
If you want to keep your vows brief, aim to talk for at least 30-45 seconds. This gives you the time you need to say something meaningful without appearing like you’re rushing through your ceremony.
Is it OK to read your wedding vows?
While we recommend memorizing your vows, we also know not every groom is blessed with a perfect memory, especially if you’re feeling nervous or emotional. Simply memorize your vows as best you can but have your notes on hand to refer to or read if you draw a blank.
If you end up needing to read your vows word for word, you’re not alone. Many grooms forget the words they committed to memory when the time comes to speak. If this happens to you, simply read from your notes with feeling and no one will be disappointed.